Read on a regular basis to the young children in a specific classroom in order to foster a love of reading, encourage excitement about books and enable your audience to feel the magic that books can create.
You will enjoy this position if you:
- Have a positive attitude and enjoy smiling,
- Want to make a positive difference in a child’s life,
- Love children’s books and enjoy reading them to a lively audience,
- Are comfortable working with a diverse group of children and adults,
- Are reliable and responsible,
- Are able to accept supervision,
- Are 18 or older,
- Can successfully complete TB screening and a background check.
The usual hours of service are:
- A minimum commitment of one hour per week,
- Volunteer opportunities are available Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
As a volunteer you will:
- Meet your assigned classroom (children and staff) in their reading location,
- Greet them and introduce your self each visit,
- Introduce the selected book(s) including the title and author (maybe discuss the cover art and ask them what they think the book is about)
- Read and enjoy the book and your time together,
- Turn the children back over to the classroom staff.
The volunteer will:
- Receive an orientation from Volunteer Services to the Institute's purpose, functions and policies/procedures as related to the volunteer’s work at the Institute
- Receive training from the assigned supervisor to ensure that the volunteer is comfortable with the assigned duties and essential functions of this position,
- Have the opportunity to take part in select in-service training sessions offered to Institute staff throughout the year.