Siskin Home Visit tRaining Institute
Become certified as a routines-based home visiting trainer by attending this week-long training and completing the certification requirements.
Participants will learn to use tools such as:
- Support-Based Home Visiting Checklist
- Vanderbilt Home-Visit Script-Expanded
- Next Steps Form
- Routines-Based Early Intervention*
- Working With Families of Young Children With Special Needs
- Case method of instruction (simulation)
- Models of actual home visits and discussion
- Practice with reflection (after the institute)
Selected participants will need to complete a few tasks to prepare for the Institute as follows:
- Read selections of McWilliam's Routines-Based Early Intervention book (provided in advance)
- We strongly encourage participants to schedule a family to conduct a post-institute Routines-Based Early Intervention home visit, prior to attending the institute. This will assist with preparation for the final interview that must be submitted for certification, and allow practice immediately after the institute, to implement what has been learned.
- At least, two (2) readings will be assigned and emailed, that will give insight to Routines-Based Early Intervention home visit methodology and process.
To become certified, participants will need to complete and pass a competency exam within one month of the close of the Institute and video record a home visit (one hour) using the Routines-Based model and mail to instructors.
This mailing will include an ecomap and a list of functional goals to be addressed in the home visits. There will also be a second video of a Routines-Based home visit with the same family mailed to instructors, along with documentation of six completed home visits.
We will assess the quality of the interview and IFSP/IEP outcomes and issue certification to those meeting the competency-based quality standards.
Please note- No videos will be copied or returned. They are considered property of the Institute and used for training purposes only through the Home & Community-Based Early Intervention program at Siskin Children's Institute.
*created by R. McWilliam
Due to the high demand for the Siskin Home Visit Training Institute, the limited space, and the high caliber, we are targeting professionals who have the experience and background to be credible home visit trainers and who have the opportunity to train others and take the Routines-Based Model to scale.
TIMELINE (dates to be announced soon)
The application period ends - to be determined
Applicant selection and notification by - to be determined
Alternates will be selected in case any selected applicants are unable to attend.
Nonrefundable Deposit by - to be determined. (Selected applicants ONLY)
Participants will be selected on the basis of the following:
- Evidence of opportunity to train others to conduct Routines Based Early Intervention Home Visits
- Evidence of opportunity to demonstrate competence
- Evidence of familiarity with recommended practices in early intervention
- Evidence of knowledge of child development
For each selected Institute applicant, tuition is $1500. This cost does not include travel and lodging.
- Expert instruction in a small group (only 10 participants admitted to the Institute)
- Opportunities to practice with real families
- Individualized coaching and feedback
- Lunch and snacks
- Materials to use in training
- Post-Institute review of recorded interview
- CEUs for education ONLY (any/all other CEUs needed, selected participant(s) MUST obtain on their own.)
Questions? Contact Siskin Home & Community-Based Early Intervention by email at Catherine.Millard@siskin.org.