Understanding how a child’s motor performance develops, and how it is related to the child’s cognitive development, is the basis of pediatric physical therapy (PT).
Physical therapists work to minimize the effect that injuries, disease or developmental disabilities have on a child’s ability to function. Our goal is to help every child reach his or her full potential.Therapists use their experience and extensive training in pediatric health, including anatomy and physiology, psychology and child development to assist children in reaching their highest level of potential.
What Physical Therapy Offers
For children who face physical challenges, long-term disabilities or injuries, physical therapy offers an opportunity for life-changing progress. Physical therapists are specially trained and skilled in working with children who face injuries, developmental delays, and a host of conditions that can affect a child’s ability to complete daily tasks.
Our therapists use positive approaches, age-appropriate activities and cutting-edge techniques to improve a child’s motor skills, balance and coordination, and strength and endurance.
Your Child’s Evaluation
During the first visit, our physical therapist will evaluate your child, the condition that affects their functioning, and the specific needs they have.
The therapist will:
- Observe and analyze the way your child moves, plays and walks
- Identify potential posture and alignment problems
- If your child has pain, determine the source of the pain and provide techniques to manage it
- Provide instructions for home exercise programs
- Consult with other professionals to ensure care is consistent throughout your child’s day
- Assess the need for orthotics/splints
- Assess the need for adaptive equipment
Treatment Customized for Your Child
After thoroughly evaluating your child, the physical therapist will create a treatment plan that might include:
- Activities to ease pain, encourage movement and help your child reach normal developmental milestones
- Strength training
- Stretching exercises to improve muscle flexibility
- Balance and coordination activities to decrease falls and injuries
- Adaptive play activities to allow your child to participate in school or recreational activities
- Techniques to help prevent injuries and keep your child safe
- Training in the use of equipment that helps replace lost function or promotes independent movement
Our physical therapist will collaborate with occupational therapists, speech therapist, and our physicians to maximize your child’s potential with specific programs customized to address their unique needs.
Guidelines for determining frequency of therapy service are used to help decide how often and for how long your child could benefit from therapy. We believe in ongoing communication with a child’s family, physicians and teachers to ensure appropriate treatment. Our therapists will work with you to develop the most appropriate and effective plan of care. From the day your child enters into the Siskin Therapy Programs, our primary goal is to help your entire family develop the skills and knowledge to help your child continue to thrive after the course of treatment ends.
We look forward to meeting you and your child. As a physical therapy team, we are always here for you to answer questions, offer support and to give ideas and suggestions for home. We look forward to meeting you and your child soon.
Please visit these external websites for more information on physical therapy.