siskin HOME VISIT TRAINING INSTITUTE
May 22-26, 2017
The Siskin Home Visit Training Institute, is a 5-day professional-development event designed to provide participants with hands-on training in how to use routines-based early intervention for home visits.The Routines-Based Model provides an answer to how to conduct effective home visits. Components of this model are taken from the book Routines-Based Early Intervention, written by Robin McWilliam.
This training is great for professionals who provide home-visits to children and their families, or who train others in home visits.
Participants will learn:
- How to make the home visit family centered
- How to address functional child skills during the home visit
- How to address family level goals or needs
- How keep routines as the context for child skills
- How to plan for the time between visits, when intervention actually occurs
- Using family consultation (instead of expert consultation)
- Responding to families’ priorities of the day
- Working with details of child functioning (EISR; “dig deeper”)
- Joint problem solving/solution finding rather than providing all the answers
- Using functional, family-chosen child level outcomes as the home-visiting agenda;
- Helping families with basic parenting skills
- Using informal and community supports to meet needs
- Addressing family-level needs also with family consultation
- Providing or ensure emotional support.
Amy Jenkins is the Director of the Home & Community-Based Early Intervention program at Siskin Children's Institute. She helped create the Siskin Home Visit Institute in 2015. Amy has been certified in the Routines-Based Interview since 2010 and supervises one of the leading programs in the state of Tennessee. Amy provides training, consultation and technical assistance to agencies across Tennessee and in other states.
Deidra Love serves children with challenging behaviors, autism and severe learning difficulties and their families by providing behavioral consultation to professionals including early interventionists, therapists and preschool/daycare teachers in the state of Tennessee.